Three deaths in New Mexico due to drinking hand sanitizer.

Photo: CNN

Mexico City, New Mexico — Three people who frequently drank hand sanitizer die in New Mexico.

The health officials of New Mexico stated that they drank hand sanitizers contaning methanol. Apart from the three people that passed away, one other is permanently blind from methanol poisoning and three people are in critical condition at present.

A spokesperson of the Health Department mentioned that these cases were related to alcoholism as hand sanitizers are sometimes consumed due to its high alcohol content. 

They also stated that the first case reported was on 7th May, to the New Mexico Poison Control and Drug Information Center and the rest of the cases were reported after 29th of May.

The health officials of New Mexico urges the citizens to avoid using hand sanitizers as a drink.

Methanol is an extremely toxic type of alcohol. If consumed it can cause severe problems such as blindness, kidney failure and death as well.

“An antidote to methanol poisoning is available, but the earlier someone gets treated for methanol poisoning the better the chance of recovery,” stated the state health Secretary Kathy Kunkel.