Male’ Maldives – Election Commission of Maldives announced that five candidates have withdrawn their names from the upcoming Local Council election and Women’s Development Committee election up until today.
The five candidates are:
- Abdul Majeed Mahir (Independent, L. Maavah Council president)
- Nafsa Mohamed Saeed (PPM, Sh. Maroshi Council – Women’s seat)
- Fathimath Saaiga Khalid (Independent, GA. Kondey Council – Women’s seat)
- Hassan Naaif (MDP, AA. Bodufulhadhoo Council member)
- Mohamed Rasheed (MDP, N. Maalhendhoo Council member)
EC announced that those who want to withdraw their names can do so via the “Local Council Election and Women’s Development Committee Election candidacy withdrawal form” which is available on their website and can be submitted to the commissions email address.
Election Commission would announce the last day to withdraw candidacy 10 days prior to the deadline. Both Local Council election and Women’s Development Committee election has been postponed to early March 2021 due to the Covid-19 global pandemic.