Port Louis, Mauritius – At the recent 14th Annual World Luxury Hotel Awards Winners 2020, 21 Maldivian Resorts won multiple categories at a Global, Continental , Regional, and Country level.
Constance Halaveli Maldives, Emerald Maldives Resort & Spa, Hard Rock Hotel Maldives and Jumeirah Vittaveli have won in their respected categories at a global level.
The Indonesian resort Apurva Kempinski Bali was selected as the overall winner of the 2020 World Luxury Hotel Awards.
Maldivan winners are as follows:
Resort Name / Winning Category / Type
- Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives/ LUXURY ISLAND RESORT/ REGIONAL
- Centara Ras Fushi Resort & Spa Maldives/ LUXURY HONEYMOON RESORT/ CONTINENT
- Constance Halaveli Maldives/ LUXURY WATER VILLA RESORT/ GLOBAL
- Constance Moofushi Maldives/ LUXURY ECO RESORT/ CONTINENT
- Emerald Maldives Resort & Spa/ LUXURY ALL-INCLUSIVE RETREAT/ GLOBAL
- Grand Park Kodhipparu,Maldives/ LUXURY ISLAND RESORT/ CONTINENT
- Hard Rock Hotel Maldives/ LUXURY BRAND/ GLOBAL
- Jumeirah Vittaveli/ LUXURY PRIVATE BEACH RESORT/ GLOBAL
- Kanuhura – A Sun Resort Maldives./ LUXURY FAMILY BEACH RESORT/ REGIONAL
- Kurumba Maldives/ LUXURY FAMILY HOTEL/ CONTINENT
- Makunudu Island/ LUXURY HONEYMOON RESORT/ COUNTRY
- Pullman Maldives Maamutaa Resort/ LUXURY NEW HOTEL/ CONTINENT
- Raffles Maldives Meradhoo/ LUXURY ISLAND RESORT/ COUNTRY
- Reethi Faru Resort/ LUXURY ECO RESORT/ REGIONAL
- Royal Residence At Jumeirah Vittaveli/ LUXURY PRIVATE VILLA/ CONTINENT
- SAii Lagoon Maldives,Curio Collection By Hilton/ LUXURY BRAND/ CONTINENT
- Samann Grand/ LUXURY BUSINESS HOTEL/ REGIONAL
- Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa/ LUXURY FAMILY BEACH/ RESORT CONTINENT
- Sun Island Resort & Spa/ BEST GENERAL MANAGER/ COUNTRY
- Conrad Maldives Rangali Island/ LUXURY VILLA RESORT/ CONTINENT
- Baglioni Resort Maldives/ LUXURY OCEAN VIEW RESORT/ REGIONAL
It is also to be noted that the number of winning Maldivian resorts have decreased from 2019, where 26 Maldivian resorts won
With the government relying heavily on the tourism sector, and especially the luxury tourism sector to meet their financial commitments, awards such as this provide much needed publicity for winning resorts, undoubtedly increasing their arrivals in the near future.
According to the Covid-19 updates of the tourism sector of the Maldives released by the Tourism Ministry, from July 15 till November 11 of the year, a total of 51,354 tourists had come to the Maldives from various parts of the world.
The most number of tourists had come from Russia with a total of 11,240 tourists. United Kingdom followed with 4,468 tourists and 3,927 U.S.A nationals had also come during this period.
The most number of tourists had been brought to Maldives during this period by Emirates Airlines which brought in 16,260 people in total until November 11, with a total of 194 movements. Second highest number of people had been brought by Qatar Airways with a total of 15,642 people on 218 movements.
The country has also received got certified as a “Safe Travel” destination which is safe for tourists to travel to in September, the country has started welcoming several tourists into the country.
Only a negative PCR test not exceeding 96 hours is necessary to enter Maldives, and travelers of every nationality are offered a free tourist visa of 30 days on arrival. Split stays among exclusive tourist resorts, guesthouses on local islands and safaris are also now permitted in Maldives.