Addu City, Maldives – As of today, a total of 181 random samples have been collected from Meedhoo, as part of their efforts to test residents in inhabited houses of Meedhoo in order to determine the extent of Covid-19 spread within the island.
The Health Center of Hulhumeedhoo has informed that to determine the spread of Covid-19 in Meedhoo, they have decided to conduct random sampling again with taking the samples from each and every inhabited household in the island. The center has requested all the present citizens in Meedhoo to cooperate in this act as it is a very important they are taking against the spread of Covid-19.
So far, two random clusters have been identified from the district, adding up to 13 cases in total, including the first 8 cases found from the first random cluster. The protective measures against Covid-19 imposed in Hulhumeedhoo of Addu City were further strengthened on February 24, 2021 due to the rise in number of Covid-19 cases.
The Director General of Public Health, Maimoona Aboobakuru announced that from 24th February onwards for a period of seven days, stricter measures will be imposed in Hulhumeedhoo. These include:
- Restriction of parties, events and ceremonies.
- Curfew from 20:00 till 04:00.
- Banning people from going from one house to another or one district to another. (Unless for necessary purposes such as medical treatment.)
- Banning going out in groups of more than 3 and gathering at public spaces.
- Closing all food cart (Dhivehi: gaadiya) services.
- To take all precautionary measures in the shops in Addu City and to avoid exceeding the maximum persons capacity in the shops.
- Closing salons, gyms, and hair salons along with restricting any sport activities.
- To take all precautionary measures when providing public transport or taxi services.
- Restricting physical classes in schools, colleges and universities.
- Restricting hotel, Cafe and Restaurant services until further noticed. (Deliver services and takeaway service excluded.)
Meedhoo is still under monitoring status and has strict restrictive measures including a curfew from 20:00 to 04:00 while the measures imposed on the other islands of the city have been eased.