Malé, Maldives – Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF) has revealed that the explosive which has left Speaker of Parliament, Mohamed Nasheed injured was a homemade/ improvised non-military grade commanded IED.
In the press conference held by Ministry of Defence and MNDF a while ago, Chief of Defence Force, Major General Abdulla Shamaal told that the IED was an improvised one which was controlled remotely and set off as Speaker Nasheed was about to get in to his car last night.
He also added that the IED was several times stronger than the one which was set off at Sultan Park in 2007 and also revealed that last nights one had ball bearings inside as shrapnel to increase the damage caused.
Major General Abdulla Shamaal also added that MNDF had requested relevant authorities to remove the motorcycles being part at Neelofaru Road where Speaker Nasheed’s home is located amid security assessments done by MNDF.
He also told that MNDF leadership believed that there was a hand of any MNDF personnel involved in the attack and that no such information was received so far as well. Chief Shamaal also commended the response of the Special Protection Group (SPG) personnel who were giving protection to Speaker Nasheed following the blast last night.
Chief Shamaal told that intelligence information is being received constantly and is dynamic and that they continuously act on intelligence inputs in making decisions. He further added that the procedures, training and education of the armed forces have been revised and capacity development has been increased drastically in order to accommodate such changing conditions in which they had to work.
The explosion which went off around 20:20 on May 6, 2021 left Speaker of Parliament, Mohamed Nasheed injured while he was getting in to his car near his house, G. Kenereege, Malé City. In addition to him, five more people were also reported to be injured from the explosion.
Earlier today, ADK Hospital had revealed that Speaker of Parliament, Mohamed Nasheed is in critical condition in intensive care.
ADK Hospital revealed that the hospital had carried out life-saving surgery on injuries to his head, lungs, heart, abdomen and limbs over the course of past 16 hours. The hospital also revealed that Speaker Nasheed underwent a successful final, critical, life-saving procedure this afternoon.
Speaking in a press conference by police held today, Commissioner of Police, Mohamed Hameed revealed that while no information was received from police intelligence prior but that they had four persons of interest under surveillance.
CP Hameed also revealed that they were in discussions with Prosecutor Generals Office and that necessary actions against these four persons of interest would be taken accordingly. He also added that they would closely monitor these individuals and would not allow them to leave the country.
While Maldives Police has come under public scrutiny after stating that they had not gotten any prior intelligence reports on the matter, CP Hameed told that there was major room for improvement within the state to share information and the an ‘autopsy’ in to why police had not received intelligence regarding such an attack would be carried out.
CP Hameed also revealed that a total of five people were injured in the attack, including Nasheed, three bodyguards and a British tourist. Hameed said that 450 officers were involved in the investigations and urged eyewitnesses to share information via a police hotline.
Speaking in an address to the nation following the incident last night, President Solih told that the perpetrators would face the full force of the law and that the government would take every necessary measure to ensure the safety and security of the people.
President Solih had also revealed that government would receive assistance from the Australian Federal Police in the investigation into the explosion and that they would arrive on Saturday to aid Maldives’ authorities in the investigation.