Speaker Nasheed to be transferred to Germany for treatment

Former President and current Speaker of the Parliament, Mohamed Nasheed | Photo: Mihaaru

Malé, Maldives – Preparations are being made to transfer Former President and Speaker of Maldives Parliament, Mohamed Nasheed to Germany for treatment after May 6 terror attack.

Speaker Nasheed’s brother, Dr. Ibrahim Nashid told local news “Jazeera” that the family is making attempts to transfer Nasheed to Germany at the earliest possible date.

An IED explosion went off around 20:20 on 6 May leaving Speaker of Parliament, Mohamed Nasheed critically injured while he was getting in to his car near his house, G. Kenereege, Malé City. In addition to him, 3 more people were also been reported to be injured from the explosion including the Speaker’s bodyguards and bystanders.

Nasheed was brought in with heavy bleeding, and both internal and external shrapnel injuries. Ball bearings were found in Nasheed’s chest, near the heart. Injuries caused by these projectiles caused life threatening damage to the chest area. Nasheed endured major injury to the fourth rib, with a blade going through a lung. A projectile also went through his intestine with another near his liver. Nasheed is currently being treated at the Critical Care Unit of ADK hospital in Malé.

Three suspects have been arrested thus far are:

  • Adhuham Ahmed Rasheed, 25 years old, V. Thinadhoo
  • Mujaaz Ahmed, 21, Ma. Feyruge, Malé
  • Thahumeen Ahmed, 32, Folheymaage, GA.Kondey

Speaking at the remand hearing on May 9, both Adhuham and Mujaaz said that they had no involvement in the blast and there were no further comments on the matter.

Thahumeen also denied the charges and also told the court that the motorcycle used in the blast did not belong to him, although the documents submitted by police to the court state otherwise.

While the three suspects have been remanded for 15 days by criminal court, terrorism charges have been brought upon all three. On the remand verdict, Judge Adam Mohamed had stated that there was enough evidence against all three for hearing the case.

Speaking in an address to the nation following the incident on May 6, 2021, President of Maldives Ibrahim Mohamed Solih told that the perpetrators would face the full force of the law and that the government would take every necessary measure to ensure the safety and security of the people.