Malé, Maldives – Parliament of Maldives has revealed that Speaker Nasheed’s medical expenses in Germany for further recovery and rehabilitation for the injuries suffered in the May 6, 2021 assassination attempt on him is being covered by Honorary Consul of Maldives in Germany, Christian Von Stetten.
While Speaker of Parliament, Mohamed Nasheed has departed to Germany earlier today on a private air ambulance after his treatments from ADK Hospital following the injuries suffered by the IED explosion, Parliament revealed that Honorary Consul of Maldives in Germany, Christian Von Stetten had arranged for the air ambulance and that the trip was arranged by Foreign Ministry and Maldivian Embassy in Germany.
Nasheed’s brother, Dr. Ibrahim Nashid had told previously that Nasheed is currently in stable condition and able to ingest some foods. While Speaker Nasheed departed from Maldives today, security in the capital city and airport was heightened as never seen before.
The IED explosion went off around 20:20 on 6 May leaving Speaker of Parliament, Mohamed Nasheed critically injured while he was getting in to his car near his house, G. Kenereege, Malé City. In addition to him, 3 more people were also been reported to be injured from the explosion including the Speaker’s bodyguards and bystanders.
Nasheed was brought in with heavy bleeding, and both internal and external shrapnel injuries. Ball bearings were found in Nasheed’s chest, near the heart. Injuries caused by these projectiles caused life threatening damage to the chest area. Nasheed endured major injury to the fourth rib, with a blade going through a lung. A projectile also went through his intestine with another near his liver. Nasheed is currently being treated at the Critical Care Unit of ADK hospital in Malé.
Three suspects have been arrested thus far are:
- Adhuham Ahmed Rasheed, 25 years old, V. Thinadhoo
- Mujaaz Ahmed, 21, Ma. Feyruge, Malé
- Thahumeen Ahmed, 32, Folheymaage, GA.Kondey
While the three suspects have been remanded for 15 days by criminal court, terrorism charges have been brought upon all three. On the remand verdict, Judge Adam Mohamed had stated that there was enough evidence against all three for hearing the case.
Speaking in an address to the nation following the incident on May 6, 2021, President of Maldives Ibrahim Mohamed Solih told that the perpetrators would face the full force of the law and that the government would take every necessary measure to ensure the safety and security of the people.