Male’, Maldives —The Health Protection Agency (HPA) has restricted traveling from Male’ to the atolls of Maldives unless it is for an emergency purpose.
HPA announced last night that due do the increasing number of Covid-19 cases within majority of the atolls of Maldives, they have decided to restrict citizens from traveling from Male’ to the atolls unless it is for an emergency purpose from June 06, 2021 onwards.
Acceptable emergency purposes to travel from Male’ to the atolls are:
- Returning back to their respective atoll after receiving medical care at Male’ city or to accompany such an individual.
- Returning back to their respective atoll as surviving in the capital city becomes financially difficult after they or their family member loses Jon position.
- Returning back to their respective atoll as they are not able to further live in Male’ city.
- Returning back to their respective atoll for important family businesses such as nearing the due date of pregnant wife or sick parents.
- Returning back to their respective atoll as the individuals who is residing in Male’ for educational purpose, completely finish their education.
The enhance measures from HPA comes as the students school holiday comes closer on 27 of this month and will be reopening on August 10. HPA noted that individuals having to travel from the capital because their education is temporarily halted or for school holidays will not be considered as an emergency purpose.
HPA advised the individuals who wish to travel to the atolls for emergency purposes listed above to request for a permit through the Health Portal and that they will be required to upload a document from the island council as well.
All individuals will be mandated to adhere to the 14 day quarantine period once they arrive to the atolls and will only be released after a negative Covid-19 PCR test is presented.