No government intervention in parliamentary inquiry: MP Aslam

Hithadhoo north constituency parliamentarian and chairperson of Parliament Committee on National Security Services (241 Committee), Mohamed Aslam | Photo: Majlis

Malé, Maldives — Committee Chair of 241 Committee and MP for North Hithadhoo Constituency, Mohamed Aslam has stated that non of the government bodies has intervened in the parliament’s inquiry over the security breach of Former President and Current Speaker of the Parliament Mohamed Nasheed during May 6 terror attack.

The statement from Aslam comes while speaking at the press conference held by the Parliament’s 241 Committee. Responding to a question, Aslam stated that all the government administrations that they are speaking to are providing full support to the inquiry.

So far Aslam stated that superior Police officers along with the Cheif of MNDF and the Deputy Cheif of MNDF also came to the parliament when they were summoned. Aslam stated that the two administrations assured their full support in the inquiry.

Noting that no administration has so far refused to come for inquiry, Aslam said that the committee has been summoning members from administrations other than MNDF and Police as well.

With the progress in inquiry, Aslam stated that they will be summoning more members to the parliament, most likely the Defence and Home Ministers of Maldives.

Aslam stated that they must gather all the information needed for the inquiry and no there should be no intervening in acquiring those information. Aslam stated that the committee believes that no administration has no chance of avoiding the inquiry.

Following the terror attack against the Former President on May 6, criticism has been aimed mainly at MNDF with allegations that they have failed to provide necessary security for the Speaker. 

The police is currently investigating the cause behind the attack on the Former President. 4 individuals have been arrested so far, all of them indicating radicalisation. The Parliamentary Committee is investigating into the security breach of the Speaker following the terror attack.

Speaker Nasheed still remains in Germany after he was released from the German medical hospital on May 21, where he went for recovery and rehabilitation for the injuries suffered in the May 6, 2021 assassination attempt on him. According to his family, he will remain in Germany for a month before returning back to Maldives. 

The IED explosion went off around 20:20 on 6 May leaving Speaker of Parliament, Mohamed Nasheed critically injured while he was getting in to his car near his house, G. Kenereege, Malé City. In addition to him, 3 more people were also been reported to be injured from the explosion including the Speaker’s bodyguards and bystanders.

Nasheed was taken to ADK with heavy bleeding, and both internal and external shrapnel injuries. Ball bearings were found in Nasheed’s chest, near the heart. Injuries caused by these projectiles caused life threatening damage to the chest area. Nasheed endured major injury to the fourth rib, with a blade going through a lung. A projectile also went through his intestine with another near his liver. 

Speaker Nasheed was treated at the Critical Care Unit of ADK hospital in Malé until he was airlifted to Germany on May 13, 2021 for recovery and rehabilitation. Parliament had previously revealed that Speaker Nasheed’s medical expenses in Germany is being covered by Honorary Consul of Maldives in Germany, Christian Von Stetten.