Court sentences man who threatened Speaker Nasheed to jail for contempt

Tightened security measures in Malé City as Speaker of Parliament, Mohamed Nasheed departs to Germany for treatment on May 13, 2021 following the assassination attempt on him by blowing an IED near his home on May 6, 2021 | Photo: Mihaaru

Raa Atoll, Maldives – R. Ungoofaaru Magistrate Court has sentences the man who threatened to harm Speaker Mohamed Nasheed to jail for contempt of court earlier today.

Ismail Asif (40) from R. Meedhoo was sentenced to 15 days imprisonment for contempt of court at the remand hearing held on Tuesday. Maldives Police also reveals that the suspect has been remanded for a further 15 days.

Speaker of the Maldives Parliament Mohamed Nasheed, voiced his support for candidates who endorse a parliamentary governance system for the upcoming Maldives Democratic Party (MDP) internal elections. Following this, Ismail Asif said that Nasheed will be treated as ‘Abu Jahl’ was, if he ever returns to Maldives again, threatening bodily harm to the speaker.

An IED explosion went off around 20:20 on May 6, leaving Speaker of Parliament, Mohamed Nasheed critically injured while he was getting into a car near his residence Kenereege in Galolhu Malé City. In addition to the Speaker, three more people were injured from the explosion including the Speaker’s bodyguards and bystanders.

Nasheed was taken to ADK with heavy bleeding and both internal and external shrapnel injuries. Ball bearings were found in Nasheed’s chest, near the heart. Injuries caused by these projectiles caused life threatening damage to the chest area. Nasheed endured major injury to the fourth rib, with a blade going through a lung. A projectile also went through his intestine with another near his liver.

Speaker Nasheed was treated at the Critical Care Unit of ADK hospital in Malé until he was airlifted to Germany on May 13, 2021, for recovery and rehabilitation. The Speaker currently resides in Germany for recovery.