Malé, Maldives – The President’s Office confirms that the State Minister for Youth and Sports Ashad Ali has been fired following a jail sentence by the Criminal Court of Maldives.
The Criminal Court sentenced Ashad Ali to 15 days in jail for contempt of court upon the his failure to present fugitive Ali Waheed at the Criminal Court.
Update: The Maldives Correctional Service have requested the police to assist in locating Ashad Ali to execute the Criminal Court sentence. Local news reports that Ashad is not in the country.
On November 28, Criminal Court Judge Hassan Saeed issued a bench warrant for the arrest of the former Tourism Minister Ali Waheed charged with 7 counts of sexual offences under the Maldives Penal Code. The warrant has since been translated by the court upon request by the Maldives Police Service to pursue an interpol red notice to extradite Ali Waheed.
Alleged sexual offender Ali Waheed exited Maldives after assigning State Minister for Youth and Sports Assad Ali as his guarantor prior to his departure citing a medical emergency. While the defendant was supposed to return to the Maldives in June as his medical treatment duration of 4 months had expired, Waheed still remains in the UK.
The Prosecutor General’s Office is charging the suspect Ali Waheed with a total of seven counts of sexual offences at the Criminal Court of the Maldives. These being;
- One count of sexual abuse under article 16 of the Sexual Offences Act (17/2014)
- One count of attempted rape under article 15 of the Sexual Offences Act (17/2014)
- One count of indecent exposure under article 132 of The Constitution of Maldives
- One count of sexual harassment under article 18 of the Sexual Offences Act (17/2014)
- One count of attempted sexual abuse under article 19 of the Sexual Offences Act (17/2014)
- Two counts of unlawful sexual contact under article 81 and 412 of Maldives Penal Code 9/2014.
To date, Ali Waheed has denied all the charges that were raised against him. However, if he is found guilty of the charges levied against him, Waheed will face up to 21 years imprisonment.