Covid-19: Additional 33 confirmed cases and 7 recoveries.

Photo: Sunmv

Malé, Maldives — HPA has confirmed additional 33 Covid-19 cases and 7 recoveries in Maldives over the past 24 hours. 

HPA disclosed that, between 6pm of July 19 and 6pm of July 21, additional 33 cases were confirmed for the virus in Maldives. They are:

  • 23 Maldivian nationals
  • 06 Bangladeshi nationals
  • 04 Indian nationals

With these 33 cases that were confirmed over the past 24 hours, Maldives now has a total of 2,999 confirmed Covid-19 cases, just one case more case to reach 3000. However, currently among these cases, there are only 600 active cases in Maldives.

Easing the lock-down measures in the Capital of Maldives, Male’ city, has contributed in increasing the number of confirmed cases in Maldives to a great extend.

While 42% of the confirmed 2,999 cases for Covid-19 in Maldives are of Maldivian nationals with a total of 1,282 cases, the remaining 58% cases are of foreign nationalities. Among this 46% of these confirmed cases are of Bangladeshi nationals with a total of 1,371 cases. The remaining 12% cases are of 249 Indian nationals, 46 Nepali nationals, 24 Sri Lankan nationals and 11 Italian nationals.

Previously the majority of the confirmed cases were of foreign nationals. However, since the lockdown easement on the capital city Malé, it has contributed a lot in increasing the number of confirmed cases of Maldivian nationals as well.

While 33 people tested positive for the virus today, only 7 people have completely recovered from the virus over the past 24 hours. Along with these 7 recoveries, a total of 2,369 people have completely recovered from the virus in Maldives. The recovery rate of Maldives has decreased from 86% to 78% since the lockdown easement in Maldives. 

Up to date, 15 have passed away from Covid-19 in Maldives. The deceased are 10 elderly Maldivian nationals, 4 Bangladeshi nationals and a Filipino national.

While 475 people are in isolation facilities, none are in quarantine facilities at present.