Covid-19: Additional 153 confirmed cases and 23 recoveries

photo: Sun

Malé, Maldives — HPA has confirmed additional 153 Covid-19 cases and 23 recoveries in Maldives over the past 24 hours. 

HPA disclosed that, between 6pm of August 3 and 6pm of August 4, additional 153 cases were confirmed for the virus in Maldives. They are:

  • 116 Maldivian nationals
  • 22 Bangladeshi nationals
  • 11 Indian nationals
  • 01 Indonesian national
  • 01 Egyptian national
  • 01 Briton national
  • 01 Kenyan national

While 148 cases of the 153 cases were found from the greater Male’ region, the remaining 05 were identified from the atolls of Maldives.

With these 153 cases that were confirmed over the past 24 hours, Maldives now has a total of 4,446 confirmed Covid-19 cases, increasing at a faster rate than it never has before. Although currently among these cases, there are only 1,719 active cases present in the Maldives.

Easing the lock-down measures in the Capital of Maldives, Malé city, has contributed a lot in increasing the number of confirmed cases in Maldives.

Infact, the health authorities has warned of a wide community spread relating to the increase of the number of cases that are not linked to the existing clusters.

While 51% of the confirmed 4,446 cases for Covid-19 in Maldives are of Maldivian nationals with a total of 2,294 cases, the remaining 49% cases are of foreign nationalities. Among this making for 38% of these confirmed cases are Bangladeshi nationals with a total of 1,709. The remaining 11% cases are of 313 Indian nationals, 48 Nepali nationals, 41 Sri Lankan nationals, 11 Italian nationals, 05 Filipinos, 08 Indonesians, 01 Egyptian, 01 Briton and 01 Kenyan.

Previously the majority of the confirmed cases were of foreign nationals. However, since the lock-down easement on the capital city Malé, it has contributed a lot in increasing the number of confirmed cases for Maldivian nationals as well.

The islands that have active cases outside of the Malé city are:

  • H. A. Kelaa
  • H. A. Ihavanandhoo
  • N. Medhufaru (Soneva Jani)
  • R. Inguraidhoo
  • B. Eydhafushi
  • B. Thulhaadhoo
  • B. Hithaadhoo
  • B. Kamadhoo
  • B. Kanufushi (Seaside Finolhu Maldives)
  • Lh. Kurendhoo
  • Lh. Hinnavaru
  • K. Maafushi
  • V. Fulidhoo

While 153 people tested positive for the virus today, only 23 people have completely recovered from the virus over the past 24 hours. Along with these 23 recoveries, a total of 2,693 people have completely recovered from the virus in Maldives. The recovery rate of Maldives has decreased from 86% to 60% since the lock-down easement.

Up to date, 19 have passed away from Covid-19 in Maldives. The deceased are 14 elderly Maldivian nationals, 4 Bangladeshi nationals and a Filipino national.

Currently there are 1,152 people in the isolation facilities of Maldives and 105 people are hospitalized due to the virus.

The government has made it mandatory – rather than a recommendation – for the public to wear masks when going out due to the surge in confirmed cases.