Covid-19: Additional 148 confirmed cases and 13 recoveries

Image of front liners in a drill conducted in Male' city Photo: V News

Malé, Maldives — HPA has confirmed additional 148 Covid-19 cases and 13 recoveries in Maldives over the past 24 hours. 

HPA disclosed that, between 6pm of August 4 and 6pm of August 5, additional 148 cases were confirmed for the virus in Maldives. They are:

  • 117 Maldivian nationals
  • 22 Bangladeshi nationals
  • 01 Indian nationals
  • 01 Nepalese national
  • 01 Seychellois national

While 146 cases of the 148 cases were found from the greater Male’ region, the remaining 02 were identified from the atolls of Maldives.

With these 148 cases that were confirmed over the past 24 hours, Maldives now has a total of 4,594 confirmed Covid-19 cases, increasing at a faster rate than it never has before. Although currently among these cases, there are only 1,869 active cases present in the Maldives.

Easing the lock-down measures in the Capital of Maldives, Malé city, has contributed a lot in increasing the number of confirmed cases in Maldives.

Infact, the health authorities has warned of a wide community spread relating to the increase of the number of cases that are not linked to the existing clusters.

While 51% of the confirmed 4,594 cases for Covid-19 in Maldives are of Maldivian nationals with a total of 2,410 cases, the remaining 49% cases are of foreign nationalities. Among this making for 38% of these confirmed cases are Bangladeshi nationals with a total of 1,732. The remaining 11% cases are of 320 Indian nationals, 49 Nepali nationals, 41 Sri Lankan nationals, 11 Italian nationals, 05 Filipinos, 08 Indonesians, 01 Egyptian, 01 Briton, 01 Kenyan and 01 Seychellois.

Previously the majority of the confirmed cases were of foreign nationals. However, since the lock-down easement on the capital city Malé, it has contributed a lot in increasing the number of confirmed cases for Maldivian nationals having the majority of the cases as well.

The islands that have active cases outside of the Malé city are:

  • H. A. Kelaa
  • H. A. Ihavanandhoo
  • N. Medhufaru (Soneva Jani)
  • R. Inguraidhoo
  • B. Eydhafushi
  • B. Thulhaadhoo
  • B. Hithaadhoo
  • B. Kamadhoo
  • B. Kanufushi (Seaside Finolhu Maldives)
  • Lh. Kurendhoo
  • Lh. Hinnavaru
  • K. Maafushi
  • V. Fulidhoo

While 148 people tested positive for the virus today, only 13 people have completely recovered from the virus over the past 24 hours. Along with these 13 recoveries, a total of 2,706 people have completely recovered from the virus in Maldives. The recovery rate of Maldives has decreased from 86% to 58% since the lock-down easement.

Up to date, 19 have passed away from Covid-19 in Maldives. The deceased are 14 elderly Maldivian nationals, 4 Bangladeshi nationals and a Filipino national.

Currently there are 1,282 people in the isolation facilities of Maldives and 110 people are hospitalized due to the virus.

The government has made it mandatory – rather than a recommendation – for the public to wear masks in all atolls of Maldives, when going out due to the surge in confirmed cases.