Will come back stronger: Nasheed

Former President and Speaker of Parliament, Mohamed Nasheed | Photo: Majlis

Malé, Maldives – The past 40 hours after former president and Speaker of Parliament Mohamed Nasheed was attacked with an improvised explosive device (IED), was torturous for his grief-stricken family.

After multiple surgeries done in ADK hospital, due to the shrapnel pieces which penetrated through his body, Speaker Nasheed was in the ventilator until this morning.

After he was taken out of the ventilator, the first people to meet him were his worried parents, Aabidha Mohamed and Abdul Satthaar. Speaker Nasheed knew that his parents were the ones who were most affected by this attack and immediately told them that he was well and healthy.

Speaker Nasheed’s younger sister Naashidha Abduh Satthaar stated that the doctors were very happy with the recovery of Speaker Nasheed, and that he is breathing without the help of the ventilator.

The doctors are very happy with recovery progress. He is out of life support and breathing on his own. Managed to exchange a few words. Promised to come back stronger. I believe him.


ADK hospital has not yet given any details about the current health of Speaker Nasheed. ADK tweeted today that they would be having a press briefing at 2:30pm regarding Speaker Nasheed’s condition.

In the press conference held by Ministry of Defence and MNDF last night, Chief of Defence Force, Major General Abdulla Shamaal told that the IED was an improvised one which was controlled remotely and set off as Speaker Nasheed was about to get in to his car the night before. He also added that the IED was several times stronger than the one which was set off at Sultan Park in 2007 and also revealed that the last one had ball bearings inside as shrapnel to increase the damage caused.

ADK Hospital revealed that the hospital had carried out life-saving surgery on injuries to his head, lungs, heart, abdomen and limbs over the course of past 16 hours. The hospital also revealed that Speaker Nasheed underwent a successful final, critical, life-saving procedure this afternoon.

The explosion which went off around 20:20 on May 6, 2021 left Speaker of Parliament, Mohamed Nasheed injured while he was getting in to his car near his house, G. Kenereege, Malé City. In addition to him, five more people were also reported to be injured from the explosion.

Speaking in an address to the nation following the incident last night, President Solih told that the perpetrators would face the full force of the law and that the government would take every necessary measure to ensure the safety and security of the people. President Solih had also revealed that government would receive assistance from the Australian Federal Police in the investigation into the explosion and that they would arrive on Saturday to aid Maldives’ authorities in the investigation.