JUST IN: Parliament 241 committee enters MNDF headquaters

Bandaara Koshi | Photo: PSM

Malé, Maldives – The Parliamentary Committee on National Security (241 Committee) has entered Bandaara Koshi that houses the Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF) Headquarters, as part of the probe into the May 6 Terror Attack.

Local news “Adhadhu” reports that the members of the 241 committee entered the Bandaara Koshi today to investigate the breach of security in connection to the IED attack targeting the former President and Speaker of the Maldives Parliament, Mohamed Nasheed.

Earlier today, the Minister of Home Affairs Imran Abdulla was questioned by the committee.

So far, several higher authorities have been summoned to the 241 Committee for inquiry. The Commissioner of Police Mohamed Hameed was the first to be summoned to the committee over the investigation following the May 6 terror attack. Along with CP, Director General of the National Counter Terrorism Center (NCTC) Brigadier General Zakariyya Mansoor Chief of Defence Force Major General Abdullah Shamaal and Vice Chief of Defence Force Brigadier General Abdu-Raheem Abdu-Latheef was also summoned to the 241 Committee in relation to the same inquiry.

Previously, Chairperson of Parliamentary Committee on National Security (241 Committee) and MP for North Hithadhoo Constituency, Mohamed Aslam revealed that 29 MNDF officers were summoned for the inquiry and that the institution has assured that they provided full support for the investigation.

In addition to the security forces, officials from Maldives Monetary Authority (MMA) including Governor of MMA Ali Hashim, Deputy Governor of MMA Ahmed Imad as well as Head of the Financial Intelligence Unit Ibrahim Ahmed Nasir were summoned to the 241 Committee for questioning.

The IED explosion went off around 20:20 on 6 May leaving Speaker of Parliament, Mohamed Nasheed critically injured while he was getting in to his car near his house, G. Kenereege, Malé City. In addition to him, 3 more people were also been reported to be injured from the explosion including the Speaker’s bodyguards and bystanders.

Speaker Nasheed currently remains in Germany after he was airlifted to Germany on May 13, 2021 for recovery and rehabilitation after receiving emergency care at the Critical Care Unit of ADK hospital in Malé.