ADK doctors who treated Speaker Nasheed summoned to 241 Committee

Dr. Ahmed Nishan at 241 Committee | Photo: People's Majilis

Malé, Maldives — ADK Hospital doctors who treated Speaker Nasheed after the May 6 bomb attack has been summoned to the Parliamentary Committee on National Security (241 Committee) today, for questioning over the security breach of Former President and Current Speaker of the Parliament Mohamed Nasheed in connection to May 6 terror attack.

The doctors team summoned to the 241 Committee include Managing Directors ADK, Ahmed Af’aal, Dr Abdullah Niyaf and Dr Ahmed Nishan.

While the doctors who treated Speaker Nasheed were summoned today, the 241 Committee also summoned Parliament member of Hulhudhoo constituency, Ilyas Labeeb for inquiry.

MP Ilyas on May 14, released a statement saying that he had informed Speaker Nasheed of the information he had received from a civilian a possible assassination attempt prior to the attack. As per the Speakers instructions he had called and informed Minister Mariya Didi as Defence Ministry and Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF) was responsible for the security of state heads. 

Defence Minister Mariya Didi was summoned on June 21 to the 241 committee. 

Chief of Defence Force Major General Abdullah Shamaal and Vice Chief of Defence Force Brigadier General Abdul Raheem Abdul Latheef were also summoned to the 241 Committee today for the second time since the investigation began.

The committee has summoned several other authorities and personnel to the committee for questioning regarding the May terror attack. This includes Home Minister Imran Abdullah, Director General of Counter Terrorism Center Brigadier General Zakariyya Mansoor, Commissioner of Police Mohamed Hameed, Police Director of Counter Terrorism Superintendent of Police Fareed Ismail as well as Speaker Nasheed’s bodyguards.

The police are also currently investigating the attack on the Former President. 4 individuals have been arrested so far in direct connection to May 6, all of them indicating radicalisation.

The 241 Parliamentary Committee is also investigating into the security breach of the Speaker following the terror attack. Speaker Nasheed remains in Germany after he was released from the German medical hospital on May 21, where he went for recovery and rehabilitation for the injuries suffered on May 6, 2021.

The IED explosion went off around 20:20 on 6 May leaving Speaker of Parliament, Mohamed Nasheed critically injured while he was getting into his car near his house, G. Kenereege, Malé City. In addition to the Speaker, 3 more people were also been reported to be injured from the explosion including the Speaker’s bodyguards and bystanders.