Malé, Maldives – The Spokesperson of President’s Office Mabrook Azeez has confirmed the arrival of a Saudi delegation headed by Under Secretary of Ministry of Islamic Affairs Awwad Sabty M Alenezi in the Maldives today.
The government of Maldives previously stated that the opening date of the Saudi funded King Salman Mosque, built to celebrate the 50th independence day of Maldives, would be announced after the Saudi delegation arrives in the Maldives.
Spokesperson Mabrook said that with the arrival of said delegation discussions will be held regarding the mosque opening starting Monday, 30 August 2021.
King Salman Mosque located on Boduthakurufaan road of capital city Malé, is a USD 25 million project started by the previous government, with the government of Saudi Arabia pledging USD 14.5 million for the project.
The mosque is expected to accommodate 4,000 people in congregational prayers on the first two floors, while the third floor is supposed to have classrooms and seminar rooms. The fourth floor will have a library and auditorium. A multipurpose hall is to be established on the fifth floor.