Addu City, Maldives – Addu City Council today passed a budget of MVR 220 million for the year 2022.
The budget was passed unanimously at the Addu City Council meeting earlier today.
The budget forecasts that the council will gain MVR 42 million through earnings of which MVR 37 million will be disbursed among the districts of Addu City as per the population density.
In addition, the council expects MVR 65 million from the government.
Addu City Mayor Ali Nizar states that this is the first time the budget is being allocated equally among the Addu City citizens.
The budget is disbursed among the districts as follows,
- Meedhoo (population: 3015) – MVR 2.1 million
- Hulhudhoo (population: 3726) – MVR 2.5 million
- Feydhoo (population: 5786) – MVR 3.7 million
- Maradhoofeydhoo (population: 1909) – MVR 1.4 million
- Maradhoo (population: 3850) – 2.6 million
- Hithadhoo (population: 16,566) – 10.2 million
While the Addu City Council forecasted earnings of MVR 34 million in 2021, the city only earned MVR 14 million.
Mayor Nizar stated that mitigation measures are being taken to reduce costs of the council and increase earnings. The council is exploring avenues to migrate to to solar energy in an attempt to combat the high electricity bills.
The council has also allocated the monthly 5 percent grant by the government to women’s development.