Malé, Maldives – The Criminal Court of Maldives on Wednesday remanded alleged Maldivian IS media operative Hoodh Mohamed Zahir till end of trial.
On 18 April 2022, the Prosecutor General’s Office (PGO) filed charges against Hoodh Mohamed Zahir, K. Malé, V. Dhelvathha for encouraging an act of terrorism via the internet including declaring support of the Islamic State Organisation on social media.
The prosecution is charging Zahir with five charges under Prevention of Terrorism Act (No. 32/2015).
- Inciting an act of terrorism via the internet
- Promoting content created by a terrorist organization
- Being a member of a terrorist organization
- Supporting a terror organization
- Possession of documents indicating allegiance to a terrorist organization
Zahir is accused of using multiple social media to incite violence, murder and damage to property including promoting using content created by Islamic State on IS-affiliated pages.
Zahir was arrested on 6 January 2022 in Maldives’ capital Malé by the Maldives Police in a joint operation between the police, FBI and intelligence agencies of EU countries.