Thimarafushi, Maldives – Maldivian Democratic Party’s president and parliamentary speaker, Mohammed Nasheed, has said that this is not the MDP government, bu a coalition government.
Speaking at a campaign event for the MDP’s presidential primary in Th. Thimarafushi, Speaker Nasheed stated that this government was not an MDP’s own administration and criticised the government for not implementing the party’s policies.
He said the party’s policy is to implement projects that will increase the income of the village. However, the government is trying to implement projects such as road construction without looking at a small island or an uninhabited island, he said.
Nasheed also added that he believes the government is heading in a direction alien to the MDP. He accused the government of trying to hold the people back.
Nasheed told that the government’s goal should be to develop and promote private businesses and criticised the government of not working towards that goal.
While Speaker Nasheed has been criticising the government of not implementing the MDP policies and violating the party’s principles, the government has been denying it.
The primary will be held on the 28th of this month. Both Speaker Nasheed and President Solih are campaigning enthusiastically for the primary.
MDP Presidential Primary 2023 Timeline:
- 18 December 2022– Presidential primary announced
- 18 December 2022 – Presidential Primary
- 24 December 2022– Deadline for acceptance of candidate nomination forms (at 16:00)
- 26 December 2022 – Final list of candidates, with candidate numbers announced
- 28 December 2022 – Presidential Primary Voters List released and open for complaints
- 31 December 2022 – Voters List Complaints Deadline (16:00)
- 03 January 2023 – Presidential Primary Final Voters List Released
- 10 January 2023- Opening of opportunity for candidate representatives
- 15 January 2023– Closing date for candidate representatives
- 28 January 2023– Presidential Primary Voting Day