Halting funding for World Health Organization (WHO) amidst a world health crisis is as dangerous as it sounds, said Microsoft founder, Bill Gates.
In a tweet he sent out following the announcement of America’s decision to withhold the funding provided to WHO by the country with claims that the organization has failed and that it has been hiding information relating to the Covid-19 crisis.
In a press conference held on Tuesday, Trump accused WHO of negligence with matters relating to Covid-19 and even claimed that the organization has been hiding information relating to the pandemic.He further stated that due to this, he has instructed relevant authorities to withhold the funding it provides to the organization until a proper review of the actions is carried out by the county.
“The organization has failed in carrying out its responsibilities. It needs to be held accountable.” He said.
Bill Gates further commented on the matter in his tweet saying that the work of WHO is slowing the spread of Covid-19 and that should the work of WHO be stopped, no other organization could replace them. He stressed how much the world needs WHO during this crisis as well.
Halting funding for the World Health Organization during a world health crisis is as dangerous as it sounds. Their work is slowing the spread of COVID-19 and if that work is stopped no other organization can replace them. The world needs @WHO now more than ever.
— Bill Gates (@BillGates) April 15, 2020
America has been one of the biggest donors of WHO, donating 316 Million Pounds to the organization last year alone, amounting to 15% of the total budget of the organization.
Prior to this America had also accused of WHO being in favour of China amidst the Covid-19 crisis.