Covid-19: Additional 39 cases and 12 recoveries

Rapid Response Teams (RRT) operate in the streets of Male' City to conduct COVID-19 tests | Photo: Sun

Malé, Maldives — HPA has confirmed additional 39 Covid-19 cases and 12 recoveries in Maldives over the past 24 hours. 

HPA disclosed that, between 6pm of July 13 and 6pm of July 14, additional 39 cases were confirmed for the virus in Maldives. They are:

  • 27 Maldivian nationals
  • 07 Bangladeshi nationals
  • 05 Indian nationality

Along with these 39 cases that were confirmed over the past 24 hours, Maldives now has a total of 2,801 confirmed Covid-19 cases. However, currently among these cases, there are only 470 active cases in Maldives.

With these 39 new infections, Maldives has confirmed a total of 284 cases over the past six days.

  • July 14: 39 confirmed cases
  • July 13: 31 confirmed cases
  • July 12: 67 confirmed cases.
  • July 11: 47 confirmed cases.
  • July 10: 64 confirmed cases.
  • July 09: 36 confirmed cases.

Easing the lock-down measures in the Capital of Maldives, Male’ city, has contributed in increasing the number of confirmed cases in Maldives to a great extend.

While 39% of the confirmed 2,801 cases for Covid-19 in Maldives are of Maldivian nationals with a total of 1,131 cases, the remaining 61% cases are of foreign nationalities. Among this 48% of these confirmed cases are of Bangladeshi nationals with a total of 1,343 cases. The remaining 13% cases are of 239 Indian nationals, 45 Nepali nationals, 19 Sri Lankan nationals and 11 Italian nationals.

While 31 people tested positive for the virus today, only 12 people have completely recovered from the virus over the past 24 hours. Along with these 12 recoveries, a total of 2,302 people have completely recovered from the virus in Maldives. The recovery rate of Maldives has decreased from 86% to 82% over the past few days.

Up to date, 14 have passed away from Covid-19 in Maldives. The deceased are 9 elderly Maldivian nationals, 4 Bangladeshi nationals and a Filipino national.

The most recent death was of a 79 year old Maldivian female who was admitted at HMF on 14th July at 05:05pm.

While currently there are 410 people held in Isolation facilities, 47 are in quarantine facilities at present.