Covid-19: Additional 59 confirmed cases and no recoveries

Photo: Social Media

Malé, Maldives — HPA has confirmed additional 59 Covid-19 cases and no recoveries in Maldives over the past 24 hours. 

HPA disclosed that, between 6pm of July 21 and 6pm of July 22, additional 59 cases were confirmed for the virus in Maldives. They are:

  • 44 Maldivian nationals
  • 14 Bangladeshi nationals
  • 01 Indian nationals

With these 59 cases that were confirmed over the past 24 hours, Maldives now has a total of 3,103 confirmed Covid-19 cases, surpassing 3,000. However, currently among these cases, there are only 676 active cases in Maldives.

Easing the lock-down measures in the Capital of Maldives, Male’ city, has contributed to the increasing the number of confirmed cases in Maldives to a great extent.

While 43% of the confirmed 3,103 cases for Covid-19 in Maldives are of Maldivian nationals with a total of 1,357 cases, the remaining 57% cases are of foreign nationalities. Among this 45% of these confirmed cases are of Bangladeshi nationals with a total of 1,397 cases. The remaining 12% cases are of 252 Indian nationals, 46 Nepali nationals, 24 Sri Lankan nationals and 11 Italian nationals.

Previously the majority of the confirmed cases were of foreign nationals. However, since the lockdown easement on the capital city Malé, it has contributed a lot in increasing the number of confirmed cases of Maldivian nationals as well.

While 59 people tested positive for the virus today, none have completely recovered from the virus over the past 24 hours. With this, the total number of recoveries remain at 2,397 in Maldives. The recovery rate of Maldives has decreased from 86% to 77% since the lockdown easement in Maldives. 

Up to date, 15 have passed away from Covid-19 in Maldives. The deceased are 10 elderly Maldivian nationals, 4 Bangladeshi nationals and a Filipino national.

While 478 people are in isolation facilities, none are in quarantine facilities at present.