Covid-19: Additional 77 confirmed cases and 36 recoveries

Photo: Mihaaru

Malé, Maldives — HPA has confirmed additional 77 Covid-19 cases and 36 recoveries in Maldives over the past 24 hours. 

HPA disclosed that, between 6pm of July 24 and 6pm of July 25, additional 77 cases were confirmed for the virus in Maldives. They are:

  • 56 Maldivian nationals
  • 20 Bangladeshi nationals
  • 01 Indian nationals

With these 77 cases that were confirmed over the past 24 hours, Maldives now has a total of 3,252 confirmed Covid-19 cases, increasing at a faster rate than it never has before. However, currently among these cases, there are only 688 active cases in Maldives.

Easing the lock-down measures in the Capital of Maldives, Malé city, has contributed a lot in increasing the number of confirmed cases in Maldives.

While 41% of the confirmed 3,252 cases for Covid-19 in Maldives are of Maldivian nationals with a total of 1,453 cases, the remaining 59% cases are of foreign nationalities. Among this 40% of these confirmed cases are of Bangladeshi nationals with a total of 1,445 cases. The remaining 19% cases are of 256 Indian nationals, 46 Nepali nationals, 25 Sri Lankan nationals and 11 Italian nationals.

Previously the majority of the confirmed cases were of foreign nationals. However, since the lock-down easement on the capital city Malé, it has contributed a lot in increasing the number of confirmed cases for Maldivian nationals as well.  

While 77 people tested positive for the virus today, 36 people have completely recovered from the virus over the past 24 hours. Along with these 36 recoveries, a total of 2,534 people have completely recovered from the virus in Maldives. The recovery rate of Maldives has decreased from 86% to 77% since the lock-down easement.

Up to date, 15 have passed away from Covid-19 in Maldives. The deceased are 10 elderly Maldivian nationals, 4 Bangladeshi nationals and a Filipino national.

While 541 people are in isolation facilities, none are in quarantine facilities at present.

While those who leave the greater Malé‘ region are still required to stay in quarantine for 14 days, people from other residential islands are now allowed to enter Malé without special authorization.