Covid-19: Maldives reports additional 137 confirmed cases with no recoveries

Photo: Sun

Malé, Maldives — HPA has confirmed additional 137 Covid-19 cases and 0 recoveries in Maldives over the past 24 hours.

137 cases is the second most amount of cases reported over a single day in Maldives with the first being 179 cases on 30th April. 

HPA disclosed that, between 6pm of July 26 and 6pm of July 28, additional 137 cases were confirmed for the virus in Maldives. They are:

  • 92 Maldivian nationals
  • 31 Bangladeshi nationals
  • 09 Indian nationals
  • 04 Sri Lankan nationals
  • 01 Filipino nationality

With these 137 cases that were confirmed over the past 24 hours, Maldives now has a total of 3,506 confirmed Covid-19 cases, increasing at a faster rate than it never has before. However, currently among these cases, there are only 929 active cases in Maldives.

Easing the lock-down measures in the Capital of Maldives, Malé city, has contributed a lot in increasing the number of confirmed cases in Maldives.

While 46% of the confirmed 3,506 cases for Covid-19 in Maldives are of Maldivian nationals with a total of 1,623 cases, the remaining 54% cases are of foreign nationalities. Among this 42% of these confirmed cases are of Bangladeshi nationals with a total of 1,503 cases. The remaining 12% cases are of 273 Indian nationals, 46 Nepali nationals, 29 Sri Lankan nationals, 11 Italian nationals and 01 Filipino nationality.

Previously the majority of the confirmed cases were of foreign nationals. However, since the lock-down easement on the capital city Malé, it has contributed a lot in increasing the number of confirmed cases for Maldivian nationals as well.

The health authorities warn of a wide community spread relating to the increase of the number of cases that are not linked to the existing clusters.

Health Minister Abdulla Ameen convened Health Emergency Operations Coordination Committee for a meeting on Tuesday, where they discussed about the possible measures proposed to contain the spread of the new coronavirus in Maldives.

Minister Ameen had tweeted a warning before HPA announced the number of new cases saying that the “sound of the danger alarm is getting louder.”

“If you wish for things to return to normal, you must wear masks, maintain social distancing, reduce your contacts, and do not go out unless absolutely necessary. The sound of the danger alarm is getting louder!” he said.

While 137 people tested positive for the virus today, none have completely recovered from the virus over the past 24 hours. Due to this, the total amount of recoveries in Maldives remains at 2,547. The recovery rate of Maldives has decreased from 86% to 72% since the lock-down easement.

Up to date, 15 have passed away from Covid-19 in Maldives. The deceased are 10 elderly Maldivian nationals, 4 Bangladeshi nationals and a Filipino national.

While 580 people are in isolation facilities, none are in quarantine facilities at present in Maldives.