Covid-19: Additional 152 confirmed cases and 14 recoveries

Malé, Maldives — HPA has confirmed additional 152 Covid-19 cases and 14 recoveries in Maldives over the past 24 hours. 

HPA disclosed that, between 6pm of July 29 and 6pm of July 30, additional 152 cases were confirmed for the virus in Maldives. They are:

  • 89 Maldivian nationals
  • 54 Bangladeshi nationals
  • 05 Indian nationals
  • 04 Sri Lankan nationals

While 142 cases of the 152 cases were found from the greater Male’ region, the remaining 10 were identified from the atolls of Maldives.

With these 152 cases that were confirmed over the past 24 hours, Maldives now has a total of 3,719 confirmed Covid-19 cases, increasing at a faster rate than it never has before. However, currently among these cases, there are only 1,120 active cases in Maldives.

Easing the lock-down measures in the Capital of Maldives, Malé city, has contributed a lot in increasing the number of confirmed cases in Maldives.

Infact, the health authorities has warned of a wide community spread relating to the increase of the number of cases that are not linked to the existing clusters.

While 47% of the confirmed 3,719 cases for Covid-19 in Maldives are of Maldivian nationals with a total of 1,756 cases, the remaining 53% cases are of foreign nationalities. Among this 42% of these confirmed cases are of Bangladeshi nationals with a total of 1,572 cases. The remaining 11% cases are of 280 Indian nationals, 46 Nepali nationals, 33 Sri Lankan nationals, 11 Italian nationals and 05 Filipinos.

Previously the majority of the confirmed cases were of foreign nationals. However, since the lock-down easement on the capital city Malé, it has contributed a lot in increasing the number of confirmed cases for Maldivian nationals as well.

While 152 people tested positive for the virus today, only 14 people have completely recovered from the virus over the past 24 hours. Along with these 14 recoveries, a total of 2,568 people have completely recovered from the virus in Maldives. The recovery rate of Maldives has decreased from 86% to 69% since the lock-down easement.

Up to date, 16 have passed away from Covid-19 in Maldives. The deceased are 11 elderly Maldivian nationals, 4 Bangladeshi nationals and a Filipino national.

The most recent death was at 1:38 pm of 30th June. It was of a 71-year-old Maldivian female who came to the ER with breathing difficulty in the morning.

Currently there are 657 people in the isolation facilities of Maldives.

The government has made it mandatory – rather than a recommendation – for the public to wear masks when going out due to the surge in confirmed cases.