Maldives – Health Protection Agency (HPA) asked the people travelling to their registered islands for Local Council Election (LCE) and Women’s Development Committee election (WDCE), to adhere to the safety guidelines set in place due to Covid-19 pandemic.
HPA tweeted today that the protocols and guidelines must be followed while travelling and voting.
Previously, HPA had mandated that a 10 day quarantine must be followed for individuals travelling from greater Malé area to the islands; from resorts, safaris, islands under monitoring or with operational guest houses to other islands. However, from today, 10 April to 11 April 2021, individuals can travel to the island where they are registered for voting without any quarantine.
Director General of Public Health Maimoona Abu Bakr signed an agreement stating that due to the spread of Covid-19 in the Maldives, for the safety of the people, an emergency protocol was released.
The guidelines and protocols that are to be followed
- Visiting areas such as café and restaurants, apart from the voting area is prohibited.
- Food and stay must be arranged in isolation.
- Meeting people and visiting homes is prohibited.
- Return to residential island within 48 hours of casting vote.
- People in quarantine or isolation will cast their votes at the specific time that HPA asks them to.
- Before travelling, give pertinent information and the time of arrival and departure, and place of residence, to the council and concerned authorities
- While voting, follow all HPA guidelines created due to Covid-19 to ensure the safety of all.