Malé, Maldives – Speaker of Parliament, Mohamed Nasheed has said that he would remain working towards the good governance of the country which the people expect.
In the tweet he posted for the first time since the assassination attempt on him by blowing an IED near his home on May 6, 2021, Speaker Nasheed thanked the Maldivian medical sector.
While also sending his wishes on the occasion of Eid Al-Fitr, Speaker Nasheed told that by the grace of Allah that he would remain determined his work to being the expected governance to Maldives by its citizens.
The explosion which went off around 20:20 on May 6, 2021 night left Speaker of Parliament, Mohamed Nasheed injured while he was getting in to his car near his house, G. Kenereege, Malé City. In addition to him, five more people have also been reported to be injured from the explosion.
The bomb contained bearing balls which in order to increase the impact of the explosion. Doctors retracted 11 such projectiles from Speaker Nasheed’s body.
Speaker Nasheed was brought in with heavy bleeding, and both internal and external shrapnel injuries. Ball bearings were found in Nasheed’s chest, near the heart. Injuries caused by these projectiles caused life threatening damage to the chest area. Nasheed endured major injury to the fourth rib, with a blade going through a lung. A projectile also went through his intestine with another near his liver. Nasheed is currently being treated at the Critical Care Unit of ADK hospital in Malé.
Three suspects have been arrested so far are:
- Adhuham Ahmed Rasheed, 25 years old, V. Thinadhoo
- Mujaaz Ahmed, 21, Ma. Feyruge, Malé
- Thahumeen Ahmed, 32, Folheymaage, GA.Kondey
Speaking at the remand hearing on May 9, both Adhuham and Mujaaz said that they had no involvement in the blast and there were no further comments on the matter.
Thahumeen also denied the charges and also told the court that the motorcycle used in the blast did not belong to him, although the documents submitted by police to the court state otherwise.
While the three suspects have been remanded for 15 days by criminal court, terrorism charges have been brought upon all three. On the remand verdict, Judge Adam Mohamed had stated that there was enough evidence against all three for hearing the case.
During a press conference held on May 8, 2021, Chief of Defence Force, Major General Abdulla Shamaal told that the IED was an improvised one which was controlled remotely and set off as Speaker Nasheed was about to get in to his car.
He also added that the IED was several times stronger than the one which was set off at Sultan Park in 2007 and also revealed that last nights one had ball bearings inside as shrapnel to increase the damage caused.
Major General Abdulla Shamaal also added that MNDF had requested relevant authorities to remove the motorcycles being part at Neelofaru Road where Speaker Nasheed’s home is located amid security assessments done by MNDF.
He also told that MNDF leadership believed that there was a hand of any MNDF personnel involved in the attack and that no such information was received so far as well. Chief Shamaal also commended the response of the Special Protection Group (SPG) personnel who were giving protection to Speaker Nasheed following the blast last night.
Speaking in an address to the nation following the incident on May 6, 2021, President Solih told that the perpetrators would face the full force of the law and that the government would take every necessary measure to ensure the safety and security of the people.