MayTerrorAttack: Investigation hindered as suspects and police officers test positive for Covid-19

One of the people arrested over the terror attack against Former President and Current Speaker of the Parliament Mohamed Nasheed on May 6, 2021 | Photo: Mihaaru

Malé, Maldives – The investigation on extremists over the attack on Speaker Mohamed Nasheed on May 6th has been hindered as the extremists and Police officers test positive for Covid-19 virus.

While the Maldives Police Service has so far arrested multiple suspected extremists from the Capital Malé city and the atolls of Maldives, some of these individuals were already infected with the Covid-19 virus when they were arrested by the Police officers.

As there are Police officers who are direct contacts of the arrested extremists that tested positive for Covid-19, the administration is required to isolate those officers until they test negative for the virus. On the other hand, some of the officers have already tested positive for Covid-19.

While the Police has not yet made an statements regarding the topic, a trustable source informed that it is very difficult now for the officers to separate and question the perpetrators as some of the extremists have tested positive for Covid-19.

Along with this, a huge barrier has also crossed the investigation as several officers has tested positive as well although they were seen wearing PPE when they arrested multiple extrimists in Malé city including during the operation to arrest Ahmed Fathih from Dharavandhoo for being suspected of having involvement in the attack against Speaker Nasheed.

After the May 6 terror attack, the police said that there would be a crack down on terrorists and terrorism supporters, including those posting such content on social media and supporting terrorism on media comment sections as well.

The IED explosion went off around 20:20 on 6 May leaving Speaker of Parliament, Mohamed Nasheed critically injured while he was getting in to his car near his house, G. Kenereege, Malé City. In addition to him, 3 more people were also been reported to be injured from the explosion including the Speaker’s bodyguards and bystanders.

Nasheed was brought in with heavy bleeding, and both internal and external shrapnel injuries. Ball bearings were found in Nasheed’s chest, near the heart. Injuries caused by these projectiles caused life threatening damage to the chest area. Nasheed endured major injury to the fourth rib, with a blade going through a lung. A projectile also went through his intestine with another near his liver. 

Speaker Nasheed was treated at the Critical Care Unit of ADK hospital in Malé until yesterday and was airlifted to Germany yesterday for recovery and rehabilitation. Parliament had revealed yesterday that Speaker Nasheed’s medical expenses in Germany is being covered by Honorary Consul of Maldives in Germany, Christian Von Stetten.