Malé, Maldives – Maldives Police has defended their position on alleged captivity for ransom of Mohamed Misbah by international drug cartels.
While a video of Misbah accusing the police of lying about him has been circulating in public, the Maldives Police says that they released factual information according to investigation on the alleged victim’s disappearance.
Police also confirm that the man in the aforementioned video is Mohamed Misbah, however, it is not clear when or where the video was taken. Police said that they are now investigating the video.
The video shows Misbah denying the suspicion of Police himself and stating that the saying that he was held for ransom by a drug network is incorrect. In the video, Misbah states that he is not involved with any drug network.
While Police had announced for public assistance to locate the 25 year old from HDh. Nolhivaranfaru in May, 2021, Maldives Police Service later revealed that he had flown to Dubai on November 11, 2020 on Fly Dubai flight which left Maldives at 22:13.
According to police, Misbah went to Dubai with Irufan Thagiyyu, aged 32, from Hulhudhoo, Seenu Atoll who has been arrested by police in December 2020 for the smuggling of the 72 kilos of drugs.
Police suspected that the international drug network had held Misbah as a guarantor for the payment for the 72 kilograms of drugs which was smuggled by Irufan last year.