Police arrest two terror suspects released by Criminal Court

One of the people arrested over the terror attack against Former President and Current Speaker of the Parliament Mohamed Nasheed on May 6, 2021 | Photo: Police

Malé, Maldives – Maldives Police Service on Wednesday, arrested two of the three terror suspects previously released by the Criminal Court.

Maldives Police Service said that the three suspects were initially arrested during the anti terrorism operations carried out by police following the terror attack against the former President and Current Speaker of the Parliament Mohamed Nasheed on May 6. The police state that two suspects were now arrested in relation to the terror attack.

Maldives Police Service previously revealed that none of the suspects of the May 6, 2021 terror attack on Speaker of Parliament, Mohamed Nasheed has been released from custody, following the Criminal Court releasing three alleged extremists.

This came while Prosecutor General’s Office stated earlier today that three of the suspects were released from their remand by Criminal Court stating that no additional evidence was submitted by Police to the court. PG Office also stated that they were appealing the release at Maldives High Court.

Following the statement from Prosecutor General’s Office, Maldives Police Service revealed that no suspects of the May 6, 2021 attack were released and that the released three were those who were apprehended in the counterterrorism operations which were carried out in Maldives following the attack.

Maldives Police Service had arrested 8 people in relation to the May 6 attack, out of which only 5 peoples details have been released to the public till now. Those are;

  • Adhuham Ahmed Rasheed, Hiya, V. Thinadhoo,
  • Mujaaz Ahmed, Ma. Feyruge, Malé
  • Thahumeen Ahmed, Folheymaage, GA. Kondey
  • Ahmed Fathih, Dhunfini Ufaa, L. Gan
  • Ali Haisham, Nooreege, N. Manadhoo

The explosion which went off around 20:20 on Thursday night left Speaker of Parliament, Mohamed Nasheed injured while he was getting in to his car near his house, G. Kenereege, Malé City. In addition to him, 3 more people have also been reported to be injured from the explosion.The IED contained bearing balls which in order to increase the impact of the explosion. Doctors retracted 11 such projectiles from Speaker Nasheed’s body.

Police has previously said that they are collecting evidence against both the perpetrators of the explosion and the people behind the suspects.Police allege that these individuals are radicalized and initialized a crackdown on extremist in the Maldives following the attack.

Speaker Nasheed remains currently in the United Kingdom after spending over a month in Germany following his release from the German medical hospital on May 21, where he went for recovery and rehabilitation for the injuries suffered on May 6, 2021.

Nasheed previously revealed that he has recovered from majority of his injuries except a few injuries to his leg and elbow. His family revealed that he will be departing to UK today, to receive further treatment with the medical advice of his doctors in Germany.

Speaker Nasheed has been slowly engaging in political activities as well, as he recovers from the injuries. He recently honoured an MDP online meeting to commorate their 16th anniversary.