Malé, Maldives – Schools across Maldives are to resume the school breakfast program where free breakfasts are provided to all students after a break as a Covid-19 protective measure.
Education Ministry, yesterday, stated that the school breakfast program will commence again starting January 2022.
While physical schooling has restarted across most parts of Maldives the school breakfast program is cancelled for the remainder of 2021. Speaking at the press conference held yesterday Education Minister Aishath Ali said that this decision was made as a protective measure for students and the school breakfast program will restart next year.
The school breakfast program was commenced in 25 schools of Maldives as a pilot project during the first term of the 2019 academic year according to President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih’s pledge to provide healthy breakfast for school children. The program was later rolled out to 188 schools throughout the country and on July 11, 2020, the program was further extended to 203 schools, where 57,816 students were a part of it.
President Solih has previously said that to date MVR 139 million has been spent on the school breakfast program.