Malé, Maldives – Former President and MDP President Mohammed Nasheed has announced that he will contest the Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) primary to determine a candidate for next year’s presidential election.
The primary for the country’s largest party is scheduled to be held on January 28, 2023.
Nasheed tweeted earlier today that he would contest the MDP primary. He also asked party members to vote for him.
While Nasheed has officially announced his candidacy for the primary, President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih has also announced that he will contest the primary for a second term.
There is a lot of controversy within the party between the faction of President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih and the faction of Nasheed.
The two presidents have been at odds over the system in power. Nasheed has an interest in becoming prime minister in the middle of the term, but President Solih is openly supporting a presidential system.
The announcement from MDP made today opened the opportunity to contest the party’s presidential primary.
MDP also announced that the members who wish to contest the primary to complete and submit their nomination forms before 4:00 pm on Saturday, December 24, 2022 with the support of 500 members of MDP who support them.
While President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih has announced that he will contest the presidential primary, President Mohammed Nasheed has also announced his intention to contest.
MDP Presidential Primary 2023 Timeline:
- 18 December 2022– Presidential primary announced
- 18 December 2022 – Presidential Primary
- 24 December 2022– Deadline for acceptance of candidate nomination forms (at 16:00)
- 26 December 2022 – Final list of candidates, with candidate numbers announced
- 28 December 2022 – Presidential Primary Voters List released and open for complaints
- 31 December 2022 – Voters List Complaints Deadline (16:00)
- 03 January 2023 – Presidential Primary Final Voters List Released
- 10 January 2023- Opening of opportunity for candidate representatives
- 15 January 2023– Closing date for candidate representatives
- 28 January 2023– Presidential Primary Voting Day