Malé, Maldives – Former President and MDP President Mohammed Nasheed‘s faction has started to collect signatures for the 500 members of MDP who support him to contest for the Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) primary to determine a candidate for next year’s presidential election.
The “Anni 2023” campaign has been launched and support forms are being filled out in Malé City and other parts of the Maldives.
The signatures will be collected every day in the city and other parts of the country from today, said Eva Abdullah, the most prominent member of the Nasheed faction.
MDP announced that the members who wish to contest the primary to complete and submit their nomination forms before 4:00 pm on Saturday, December 24, 2022 with the support of 500 members of MDP who support them.
Apart from Nasheed, President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih has also launched his campaign to contest the MDP primary.
There is a lot of controversy within the party between the faction of President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih and the faction of Nasheed.
The two presidents have been at odds over the system in power. Nasheed has an interest in becoming prime minister in the middle of the term, but President Solih is openly supporting a presidential system.
Those interested in contesting the primary must submit their forms with the support of 500 party members before 4:00 pm on the 24th of this month.
According to the MDP presidential primary timeline, the final list of candidates will be announced on the 26th of this month.
The list of voters in the presidential primary will be made public and complaints will be opened on the 28th of this month. The deadline for receiving complaints is 31st of this month at 4:00 pm.
The permanent list of voters for the MDP presidential primary will be announced on January 3, 2023. The opportunity will be opened to candidates’ representatives on January 10. The opportunity closes on January 15th.
MDP Presidential Primary 2023 Timeline:
- 18 December 2022– Presidential primary announced
- 18 December 2022 – Presidential Primary
- 24 December 2022– Deadline for acceptance of candidate nomination forms (at 16:00)
- 26 December 2022 – Final list of candidates, with candidate numbers announced
- 28 December 2022 – Presidential Primary Voters List released and open for complaints
- 31 December 2022 – Voters List Complaints Deadline (16:00)
- 03 January 2023 – Presidential Primary Final Voters List Released
- 10 January 2023- Opening of opportunity for candidate representatives
- 15 January 2023– Closing date for candidate representatives
- 28 January 2023– Presidential Primary Voting Day