Malé, Maldives – Former President and MDP President Mohammed Nasheed‘s faction has filed his candidacy form to contest for the Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) primary to determine a candidate for next year’s presidential election.
Senior MP from Nasheed’s faction, Hassan Latheef said, “President Mohammed Nasheed has submitted his candidacy form to contest the 2023 presidential election on the MDP ticket.”
MDP announced that the members who wish to contest the primary to complete and submit their nomination forms before 4:00 pm on Saturday, December 24, 2022 with the support of 500 members of MDP who support them.
Nasheed submitted his candidacy form with the support of “exactly five hundred people”, Hassan Latheef told local media.
President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih has also announced to contest the primary and his campaign team is working to gain signatures for the candidacy application.
MDP Presidential Primary 2023 Timeline:
- 18 December 2022– Presidential primary announced
- 18 December 2022 – Presidential Primary
- 24 December 2022– Deadline for acceptance of candidate nomination forms (at 16:00)
- 26 December 2022 – Final list of candidates, with candidate numbers announced
- 28 December 2022 – Presidential Primary Voters List released and open for complaints
- 31 December 2022 – Voters List Complaints Deadline (16:00)
- 03 January 2023 – Presidential Primary Final Voters List Released
- 10 January 2023- Opening of opportunity for candidate representatives
- 15 January 2023– Closing date for candidate representatives
- 28 January 2023– Presidential Primary Voting Day