Malé, Maldives – Former President and MDP President Mohammed Nasheed has said that he contested the MDP presidential primary because he was confident of winning it.
Speaking at a meeting with members of the campaign team yesterday, Nasheed said he did not want anything bad to happen to the MDP. There is no member in the MDP who cannot work with him, he said, adding that he should win this election.
Nasheed said he contested the presidential primary because he was confident of winning. He said he would go out and campaign day and night without stopping for a single day.
We will go out. We will go from house to house. We will meet people. We will campaign day and night. We will not hesitate for a moment. Hopefully we will end this with a successful victory.Former President and MDP President Mohammed Nasheed
Nasheed arrived in Maldives yesterday after a visit to the UK and will officially launch his campaign at Sultan Park tonight.
Nasheed’s campaign launch will be held at 8:30 pm tomorrow at Sultan Park. The public will have the opportunity to ask questions to Speaker Nasheed.
After holding a campaign rally tomorrow night, Nasheed will start a trip to the northers atolls on Thursday, his campaign team said.
Speaker Nasheed will contest against President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih in the MDP presidential primary which is set to be held on January 28, 2023.
MDP President and former President Mohammed Nasheed got candidate number 1 and President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih, got candidate number 2.
MDP Presidential Primary 2023 Timeline:
- 18 December 2022– Presidential primary announced
- 18 December 2022 – Presidential Primary
- 24 December 2022– Deadline for acceptance of candidate nomination forms (at 16:00)
- 26 December 2022 – Final list of candidates, with candidate numbers announced
- 28 December 2022 – Presidential Primary Voters List released and open for complaints
- 31 December 2022 – Voters List Complaints Deadline (16:00)
- 03 January 2023 – Presidential Primary Final Voters List Released
- 10 January 2023- Opening of opportunity for candidate representatives
- 15 January 2023– Closing date for candidate representatives
- 28 January 2023– Presidential Primary Voting Day