Malé, Maldives – President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih will participate in his first campaign event for MDP presidential primaries tonight.
President Solih, who announced his candidacy for the MDP primary, did not participate in any of the campaign activities, although the President’s campaign team went door-to-door with booth rallies.
Solih’s first campaign event comes while he has been subsequently criticized by party members for his absence from his own campaign.
The meeting is scheduled to be held at MDP office in Malé City tonight at 21:00.
Maldivian Democratic Party’s presidential primary is scheduled to be held on the 28th of this month. The primary is being contested by President Solih and MDP President Mohammed Nasheed.
Speaker Nasheed and his campaign team have also criticized President Solih for not campaigning by himself.
Nasheed, who is now campaigning extensively has repeatedly said he will win the primary. He said he did not know how to lose elections. Nasheed yesterday went to Fuvahmulah for the campaign.
As MDP’s primary campaign heats up, Speaker Nasheed had previously accused that the people who were expelled from the register of Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) were those who would not have voted for President Ibrahim Mohammed Solih.
The expulsion of thousands of members from the party while an election looming was a crime committed to rig the election, according to Nasheed’s campaign team. The team has also submitted a request to the MDP to investigate the matter.
MDP Presidential Primary 2023 Timeline:
- 18 December 2022– Presidential primary announced
- 18 December 2022 – Presidential Primary
- 24 December 2022– Deadline for acceptance of candidate nomination forms (at 16:00)
- 26 December 2022 – Final list of candidates, with candidate numbers announced
- 28 December 2022 – Presidential Primary Voters List released and open for complaints
- 31 December 2022 – Voters List Complaints Deadline (16:00)
- 03 January 2023 – Presidential Primary Final Voters List Released
- 10 January 2023- Opening of opportunity for candidate representatives
- 15 January 2023– Closing date for candidate representatives
- 28 January 2023– Presidential Primary Voting Day