Malé, Maldives – Former President and MDP President Mohammed Nasheed has launched a verbal attack on President Ibrahim Mohammed Solih stating that President Solih will not win the election even if he cheats.
At a rally at Bondibaiy Park, Speaker Nasheed said the removal of 39,000 members from the MDP register was a major concern.
He accused the party of removing its members from the register and joining other parties.
The expulsion of thousands of members from the party while an election looming was a crime committed to rig the election, according to Nasheed’s campaign team. The team has also submitted a request to the MDP to investigate the matter.
Speaking at the campaign rally, Nasheed said the election could not be won by cheating. Otherwise, the then President Abdullah Yameen would have been elected for a second term in the 2018 elections, he said.
The government has now lost the votes of those who were expelled from the MDP and the votes of many who listened to them, he said. He said he would win a large majority of the 56,000 eligible voters in the primary.
Speaker Nasheed had previously accused that the people who were expelled from the register of Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) were those who would not have voted for President Ibrahim Mohammed Solih.
MDP Presidential Primary 2023 Timeline:
- 18 December 2022– Presidential primary announced
- 18 December 2022 – Presidential Primary
- 24 December 2022– Deadline for acceptance of candidate nomination forms (at 16:00)
- 26 December 2022 – Final list of candidates, with candidate numbers announced
- 28 December 2022 – Presidential Primary Voters List released and open for complaints
- 31 December 2022 – Voters List Complaints Deadline (16:00)
- 03 January 2023 – Presidential Primary Final Voters List Released
- 10 January 2023- Opening of opportunity for candidate representatives
- 15 January 2023– Closing date for candidate representatives
- 28 January 2023– Presidential Primary Voting Day