Velidhoo, N. Atoll – President of the Maldives, Ibrahim Mohamed Solih, has said that he will win this year’s presidential election in a single round.
Speaking at his presidential primary campaign rally in N. Velidhoo last night, the President said he would win the presidential election in a single round if he competes.
“Hopefully, with the grace of Allah, we will win the presidential election in August one round, one round by a large margin,” he said.
President Solih also has asked the party members to elect him in the MDP’s primary to elect a presidential candidate.
There is no need to look at the past and think about how to win the upcoming presidential election, he said, adding that he can only win the presidential election without repeating the bitter experience of the past.
The President said the MDP will move forward together after the primary, noting that the campaign is not against any particular person.
President Solih is contesting in the MDP presidential primary against former President and MDP President Mohammed Nasheed. The primary will be held on the 28th of this month.
MDP Presidential Primary 2023 Timeline:
- 18 December 2022– Presidential primary announced
- 18 December 2022 – Presidential Primary
- 24 December 2022– Deadline for acceptance of candidate nomination forms (at 16:00)
- 26 December 2022 – Final list of candidates, with candidate numbers announced
- 28 December 2022 – Presidential Primary Voters List released and open for complaints
- 31 December 2022 – Voters List Complaints Deadline (16:00)
- 03 January 2023 – Presidential Primary Final Voters List Released
- 10 January 2023- Opening of opportunity for candidate representatives
- 15 January 2023– Closing date for candidate representatives
- 28 January 2023– Presidential Primary Voting Day