Covid-19: Confirmed cases surpasses 3,000 in Maldives

Malé, Maldives — Along with the 45 Covid-19 cases HPA has additionally confirmed over the past 24 hours, the total confirmed cases in Maldives has surpassed 3,000. 

HPA disclosed that, between 6pm of July 20 and 6pm of July 21, additional 45 cases were confirmed for the virus in Maldives. They are:

  • 31 Maldivian nationals
  • 12 Bangladeshi nationals
  • 02 Indian nationals

With these 45 cases that were confirmed over the past 24 hours, Maldives now has a total of 3,044 confirmed Covid-19 cases, surpassing 3,000. However, currently among these cases, there are only 617 active cases in Maldives.

Easing the lock-down measures in the Capital of Maldives, Male’ city, has contributed in increasing the number of confirmed cases in Maldives to a great extend.

While 43% of the confirmed 3,044 cases for Covid-19 in Maldives are of Maldivian nationals with a total of 1,313 cases, the remaining 57% cases are of foreign nationalities. Among this 45% of these confirmed cases are of Bangladeshi nationals with a total of 1,383 cases. The remaining 12% cases are of 251 Indian nationals, 46 Nepali nationals, 24 Sri Lankan nationals and 11 Italian nationals.

Previously the majority of the confirmed cases were of foreign nationals. However, since the lockdown easement on the capital city Malé, it has contributed a lot in increasing the number of confirmed cases of Maldivian nationals as well.

While 45 people tested positive for the virus today, only 28 people have completely recovered from the virus over the past 24 hours. Along with these 28 recoveries, a total of 2,397 people have completely recovered from the virus in Maldives. The recovery rate of Maldives has decreased from 86% to 78% since the lockdown easement in Maldives. 

Up to date, 15 have passed away from Covid-19 in Maldives. The deceased are 10 elderly Maldivian nationals, 4 Bangladeshi nationals and a Filipino national.

While 472 people are in isolation facilities, none are in quarantine facilities at present.