Covid-19: Additional 36 cases and 8 recoveries.

Photo: AdduLive

Malé, Maldives — HPA has confirmed additional 36 Covid-19 cases and 8 recoveries in Maldives over the past 24 hours. 

HPA disclosed that, between 6pm of July 18 and 6pm of July 19, additional 36 cases were confirmed for the virus in Maldives. They are:

  • 29 Maldivian nationals
  • 05 Bangladeshi nationals
  • 02 Indian nationals

With these 36 cases that were confirmed over the past 24 hours, Maldives now has a total of 2,966 confirmed Covid-19 cases, reacher closer to 3000. However, currently among these cases, there are only 574 active cases in Maldives.

Easing the lock-down measures in the Capital of Maldives, Male’ city, has contributed in increasing the number of confirmed cases in Maldives to a great extend.

While 42% of the confirmed 2,966 cases for Covid-19 in Maldives are of Maldivian nationals with a total of 1,259 cases, the remaining 58% cases are of foreign nationalities. Among this 46% of these confirmed cases are of Bangladeshi nationals with a total of 1,365 cases. The remaining 12% cases are of 245 Indian nationals, 46 Nepali nationals, 24 Sri Lankan nationals and 11 Italian nationals.

Previously the majority of the confirmed cases were of foreign nationals. However, since the lockdown easement on the capital city Malé, it has contributed a lot in increasing the number of confirmed cases for Maldivian nationals as well.  

While 36 people tested positive for the virus today, only 8 people have completely recovered from the virus over the past 24 hours. Along with these 8 recoveries, a total of 2,362 people have completely recovered from the virus in Maldives. The recovery rate of Maldives has decreased from 86% to 79% over the past days.

Up to date, 15 have passed away from Covid-19 in Maldives. The deceased are 10 elderly Maldivian nationals, 4 Bangladeshi nationals and a Filipino national.

While 468 people are in isolation facilities, none are in quarantine facilities at present.