Malé, Maldives – Ministry of Home affairs informs that in accordance with the Maldives Police Service Act (Law No. 34/2020), the Maldives Police Service has decentralized its operations into 6 administrative regions.
The Ministry made this decision after discussions with the Commisioner of Police. The 6 new administrative regions are,
- Capital Police Headquarters located in Malé for the greater Malé region including Thilafushi and Gulhifalhu.
- Upper North Police Regional Headquarters for the atolls, HA, HDh and Sh.
- HDh. Kulhudhuffushi North Police Regional Headquarters for the atolls, N, R, B, and Lh.
- R. Ungoofaaru North Police Regional Headquarters for the atolls, K, AA, ADh and V.
- AA. Rasdhoo Central Police Regional Headquarters and for the atolls, M, F, Dh, Th and Lh. with the Sub-regional Headquarters located in L. Gan
- Dh. Kudahuvadhoo South Police for atolls, GA, GDh, Gn, and Addu City. Regional Headquarters located in Addu City and Sub-regional Headquarters located in GDh. Thinadhoo.
The Police Service Act (Law No. 34/2020) was was passed in 2020 and enacted on March 27, 2021. It aims to improve accountability and grants the necessary legal protection to the institution and its officers in assuming their duties.