Malé, Maldives – The Prosecutor General’s Office (PGO) has charged a Maldivian man arrested for urinating inside the Islamic Centre located in capital city Malé.
The same suspect is currently remanded to custody for a case of spitting in the Holy Quran at Ibrahim Mosque.
Hassan Ziyad, M. Shadyhome has urinated at various landmarks in the capital city of Maldives including inside the Islamic Centre, Friday Mosque, Republic Square and in front of the President’s Office.
Ziyad desecrated the Islamic Centre during congregational prayers.
The PGO states that charges against Ziyad were submitted at the Criminal Court on 16 November 2021 for disorderly conduct.
Section 615 – Disorderly Conduct(a) Offense Defined. A person commits an offense if, knowing hisconduct will harass, annoy, or alarm another person in public, he:
- engages in fighting, or in violent or threatening behavior, or
- makes unreasonable noise, or
- uses abusive or obscene language, or makes an obscene gesture, or
- persistently follows a person in or about a public place or places, or
- solicits sexual contact, or creates a hazardous, physically offensive, or
- seriously alarming condition by an act that serves no legitimate purpose.
This is offense is a Class 3 misdemeanor with the highest penalty at 2 months and 12 days.
On Monday, a foreigner was remanded to 7 days in custody by the Criminal Court after a confession of urinating in a mosque.