Malé, Maldives – President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih constituted the governing board of Dr Abdul Samad Memorial Hospital (ASMH) in Thinadhoo Island in the Gaafu Dhaalu Atoll. He formed the board and made appointments on Tuesday, March 1, 2022.
The new board would govern the management of ASMH and is comprised of the following members,
1. Dr Lawsha Mohamed (Representative of the public)
2. Dr Abdulla Ubaid (independent health sector expert)
3. (Representative from the regional financial sector)
4. Mariyam Nazneen (Ministry of Health representative)
5. Jeeza Hassan (Representative of the regional public health sector)
6. Saud Ali (Member of the Atoll Council)
7. (Hospital In-Charge)
President Solih appointed Dr Lawsha Mohamed as the chairperson of the board.
The President decreed that Dr Abdul Samad Memorial Hospital (ASMH) would be managed by a governing board in the second quarter of 2021.
President Solih constituted the board after Minister of Health Ahmed Naseem promised on 23 February 2022 that the board would be constituted within a week.
Health Minister Naseem stated this after being questioned in the Maldives Parliament. He also brought attention to the high turnover rate at the hospital.
The public has raised concerns regarding the unavailability of specialists and services at the hospital forcing islanders to travel to nearby regional hospitals via sea for healthcare.