Malé, Maldives – Maldivian Democratic Party, MDP, has announced that it will hold its presidential primary on January 28, 2023.
The announcement from MDP made today opened the opportunity to contest the party’s presidential primary.
MDP also announced that the members who wish to contest the primary to complete and submit their nomination forms before 4:00 pm on Saturday, December 24, 2022 with the support of 500 members of MDP who support them.
While President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih has announced that he will contest the presidential primary, President Mohammed Nasheed has also announced his intention to contest.
MDP Presidential Primary 2023 Timeline:
- 18 December 2022– Presidential primary announced
- 18 December 2022 – Presidential Primary
- 24 December 2022– Deadline for acceptance of candidate nomination forms (at 16:00)
- 26 December 2022 – Final list of candidates, with candidate numbers announced
- 28 December 2022 – Presidential Primary Voters List released and open for complaints
- 31 December 2022 – Voters List Complaints Deadline (16:00)
- 03 January 2023 – Presidential Primary Final Voters List Released
- 10 January 2023- Opening of opportunity for candidate representatives
- 15 January 2023– Closing date for candidate representatives
- 28 January 2023– Presidential Primary Voting Day
The MDP primary has been announced amid a sharp division within the party.
The two presidents have been at odds over the system in power. Nasheed has an interest in becoming prime minister in the middle of the term, but President Solih is openly supporting a presidential system.