Malé, Maldives – President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih has filed his nomination papers for the Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) primary to determine a candidate for next year’s presidential election.
President Solih’s campaign manager and Kinbidhoo constituency MP Mohammed Nashiz said he has submitted the candidacy form with the support of more than 20,000 members.
The party’s presidential primary was opened on the 18th of this month. MDP President and Parliamentary Speaker Mohammed Nasheed has also submitted his nomination papers to contest the primary.
Nasheed submitted his candidacy form with the support of “exactly five hundred people”, Senior MP from Nasheed’s faction, MP Hassan Latheef told local media.
MDP has decided to hold its presidential primary on January 28, 2023. Applications with the support of 500 party members must be submitted before 4:00 pm today.
MDP Presidential Primary 2023 Timeline:
- 18 December 2022– Presidential primary announced
- 18 December 2022 – Presidential Primary
- 24 December 2022– Deadline for acceptance of candidate nomination forms (at 16:00)
- 26 December 2022 – Final list of candidates, with candidate numbers announced
- 28 December 2022 – Presidential Primary Voters List released and open for complaints
- 31 December 2022 – Voters List Complaints Deadline (16:00)
- 03 January 2023 – Presidential Primary Final Voters List Released
- 10 January 2023- Opening of opportunity for candidate representatives
- 15 January 2023– Closing date for candidate representatives
- 28 January 2023– Presidential Primary Voting Day