Covid-19: Additional 16 confirmed cases and 22 recoveries.

Rapid Response Teams (RRT) operate in the streets of Male' City to conduct COVID-19 tests | Photo: Sun

Malé, Maldives — HPA has confirmed additional 16 Covid-19 cases and 22 recoveries in Maldives over the past 24 hours. 

HPA disclosed that, between 6pm of July 7 and 6pm of July 8, additional 16 cases were confirmed for the virus in Maldives. They are:

  • 11 Maldivian nationals
  • 05 Bangladeshi nationals

Along with these 16 cases that were confirmed over the past 24hours, Maldives now has a total of 2,517 confirmed Covid-19 cases. However, currently among these cases, there are only 319 active cases in Maldives.

While 35% of the confirmed 2,517 cases for Covid-19 in Maldives are of Maldivian nationals with a total of 910 cases, the remaining 65% cases are of foreign nationalities. Among this 65% of these confirmed cases are of Bangladeshi nationals with a total of 1,293 cases. The remaining 14% cases are of 227 Indian nationals, 44 Nepali nationals, 19 Sri Lankan nationals and 11 Italian nationals.

While 16 people tested positive for the virus today, 22 people has complety recovered from the virus over the past 24 hours. Along with these 22  recoveries, a total of 2,180 people have completely recovered from the virus in Maldives. The recovery rate of Maldives has now increased by 2% to 86%.

Up to date, 13 have passed away from Covid-19 in Maldives. The deceased are 8 elderly Maldivian nationals, 4 Bangladeshi nationals and a Filipino national.

The latest death was on July 8 at 1:00 pm, of a 70-year-old female who was brough to IGMH, and was declared deceased on arrival. When tested, she was found to be positive for Covid-19.

While currently there are 267 people held in Isolation facilities, 107 are in quarantine facilities at present.